What are the biggest challenges you face as a department chair today?
- Are you struggling to do more with less?
- Do you face instances of incivility in your department?
- How effective is your departmental vision?
- Are you an interim chair or were you appointed without tenure?
- Do you have a strategic plan in place?
- How do you cope with the stress of your role?
- Are you able to successfully lead change among your faculty?
The Department Chair takes on all of these questions and more. A unique resource for chairs, deans, academic vice presidents, and other administrators, The Department Chair delivers practical information in every issue.
Written by practicing academic leaders, The Department Chair features in-depth articles that deliver sound insight and proven strategies essential for successfully leading an academic department.
With a subscription to The Department Chair
, you’ll get strategies you can use right away, such as how to:
- Lead multiple departments
- Understand student generational issues
- Implement diversity policies
- Build faculty morale
- Create faculty development opportunities
- Adapt to leadership changes
- Develop effective policies
- Focus your responsibilities
- And more
Delivered four times a year in print or electronic format, The Department Chair is a proven resource for both new and experienced academic leaders, giving you the tools you need to build relationships, enhance your department, manage resources, harness technology, resolve conflict, and much more.
Gain valuable insight into the chair role with contributions from the experts in academic leadership:
- Jeffrey Buller, Florida Atlantic University
- Don Chu, National University
- Robert Cipriano, Southern Connecticut State University
- Kent Crookston, Brigham Young University
- Jon Dalager, Wayne State College
- Katherine Frank, Indiana University East
- Walter Gmelch, University of San Francisco
- Kenneth Green, Campus Computing Project
- Christian Hansen, Eastern Washington University
- Irene Hecht, Higher Education Associates
- Mary Lou Higgerson, Baldwin Wallace University
- Teddi Joyce, University of South Dakota
- Doug Lees, Indiana University–Purdue University Indianapolis
- Christopher Lynch, Kean University
- Kina Mallard, Carson-Newman University
- Carol Mullen, Virginia Tech
- Juston Pate, Maysville Community and Technical College
- Mark Putnam, Central College
- Kelly Ward, Washington State University
- Jon Wergin, Antioch University
- Daniel Wheeler, University of Nebraska–Lincoln
- Lisa Wolf-Wendel, University of Kansas
In its 24th year of publication, The Department Chair
is the most popular resource for news, advice, and practical information for thousands of chairs and deans across disciplines and institutions. This acclaimed, widely read quarterly periodical is a versatile and proven tool for academic administrators like you.